We get a number of questions concerning livestreams and produced media, and on this page we hope to answer some of them.
Why is (insert concert here) not being livestreamed?
-While feedback to live streaming is very positive, we have limited resources and staff to serve over 400 events produced by the School of Music. Therefore we have to limit the number of concerts supported, and have done our best to ensure that major ensembles, faculty recitals, and studio ensembles are represented throughout the year.
Are you sure (insert concert here) isn’t being livestreamed?
-Additional concert livestreams are often covered by CW Studios, and can be found here.
The livestream is (not starting/buffering/fuzzy/quiet).
-We currently use Youtube Live as our streaming platform to ensure the best quality and performance for our users, but there are some things to be aware of:
- Youtube Live is not available in all countries (most notably Germany) due to issues outside our control. We are currently working on solutions to cover all our viewers.
- Youtube attempts to set the video resolution based on your current bandwidth, and usually does a pretty good job. However, if you feel that you are capable of a higher-bitrate stream, you can click on the cog in the lower-right corner of the video and change your resolution (up to 720p currently). You may need to stop and restart the stream for the setting to take effect. In some instances, connecting your computer with an ethernet cable (versus wireless) will improve results.
- At times the video may freeze or drop completely. This is normally not a result of something on our end, and you may have to refresh your webpage to restart the stream. In instances where it is on our end, please be patient while we fix whatever issue may have occurred.
- Live classical music is dynamic, and as such we encourage the use of a good pair of headphones or external speakers for the best listening experience.
- Our video is compatible with nearly all browsers and devices, including mobile. If the video doesn’t appear, please ensure you have the latest version of Flash installed, or try a different browser (Chrome/Safari recommended).